The visualization lab can develop into a Research Cluster dedicated that can actively promote a unique, inter-disciplinary culture that investigates the sustainable development of contemporary cities and the holistic study of the history of cities in the Mediterranean basin via the use of advanced imaging technologies and is expected to attract EU funding in this field.
- 3D stereoscopic projectors;
- Virtual Director platform for remote collaboration (UIUC);
- VR technology: Oculus Rift stereoscopic goggles & Virtuix Omni treadmill;
Outcomes of the facility:
- Immersive Real-Time 3d Virtual Environments for Education and Learning;
- 3D Modeling & production of High Quality digital animations;
- Virtual Representation of Monuments/Urban Environments of Historical Centers
We believe that virtual environment immersion can be improved with the ability to physically walk around the virtual space. We are planning to explore devices such as the Oculus Rift, a virtual reality visor with a wide angle of view, and the Virtuix Omni treadmill, a 360-degree platform that allows a user to walk in place for long distances in virtual space, without colliding with the walls of the real environment. The treadmill would provide navigation data and the Oculus Rift would provide gaze direction and visual display. It is also our intention to enable multiple users to enter the same scene, and see one another as this would enhance the experience of discovering a virtual environment.
- Maxwell Renderer rendering engine for 4K digital animation (moving image reconstruction of monuments of cultural heritage and their surrounding site & creation/presentation of historical phases of sites that are lost and cannot be visited) [planned addition to our equipment];